A Harmful Effect of Divorce: Parental Alienation

Children have a right to maintain a meaningful relationship with both parents and to maintain frequent and continuing contact with both Mother and Father.  It goes without saying that they need to be shielded from their parents’ conflicts.  Most parents would not intentionally harm their children, but your behavior regarding the other parent can be just as detrimental. We have all experienced anger toward a loved Read More

4 Tips for Handling Disputes During Divorce

You may have heard the saying that divorce is only 5% legal- the remaining 95% is emotional.  It’s not true: very few divorces transpire without a lot of sadness, tears and, yes, anger.  However, a Court cannot render a decision that does not conform with the requirements of the law.  This is why many litigants find it difficult to traverse the legal and procedural approaches in a dissolution of marriage Read More

How Social Media Posts Can Affect Your Divorce Proceeding

Just because your Facebook and other social media accounts are “private” does not mean that they are privileged.  Florida law allows discovery of information that is not privileged and that may be discoverable evidence.  Parents have lost timesharing with their children because of posts and activities on Facebook. During a divorce, it is important to remember that your online presence could be scrutinized by the Read More

McKINNON LEGAL Named a 2020 Law Firm 500 Honoree for Fastest Growing Law Firms in the U.S.

Over the past 4-years, our team at McKINNON LEGAL have been dedicated to providing excellence in customer service resulting in many happy clients. In doing so, our commitment and focus has taken us on a fabulous journey of growth – both personally and for our business.  We are pleased to announce that our law firm has been named a 2020 Law Firm 500 Honoree awarded to the Fastest Growing Law Firms in the US. Read More

Driving Defensively: Five Tips for Staying Safe On the Road

At McKINNON LEGAL, we often serve clients who have been injured due to others’ negligence at the wheel. According to the most recent data released by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, there are more than 400,000 car crashes in Florida in a year and more than 250,000 of them result in injury. For this reason, we’re dedicating today’s blog post to driving tips to help keep you and others Read More

Possible Damages You Can Recover in a Personal Injury Lawsuit

The payout you may receive as the victim of a personal injury can include more than just money to reimburse you for medical bills and lost income. There are several types of damages for which victims are eligible. To be clear, “damages” in the context of a personal injury payout does not refer to damage of physical property such as vehicles or houses. Instead, it simply is a term that refers to money that is paid to Read More

How to Help Your Friend or Loved One Cope with a Divorce

No one likes to see their loved ones suffer. It can be especially painful when you’re not sure if there’s anything you can do to help. Watching a friend or loved one go through a divorce is one of those situations. In today’s post we’re sharing our insight about the best ways you can support someone you love as they navigate the divorce process. Whether or not you’ve been through a divorce yourself, we hope these Read More

Loss of Consortium

As George Sand once wrote, "There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved." The vast majority of what matters in life is based on our relationships with others, especially those in our immediate family. The importance of these relationships is the reason the legal concept of loss of consortium is so vital to understand. When a close family member, such as a spouse, parent, or child, is disabled or Read More

IVF and Paternity Obligation Options

In-vitro fertilization (IVF) is a process through which an egg and a sperm are combined outside of the body and transferred to the uterus after fertilization occurs. The process can use a donor egg and sperm, biological material from the mother and her partner, or a combination thereof. This amazing medical technology brings lots of questions into the legal sphere, especially when it comes to paternity. In today’s Read More

Three Considerations for Same-Sex Couples Getting Divorced in Florida

Same-sex couples face unique legal challenges in their relationships, including when they decide to get divorced. At McKINNON LEGAL, we represent clients in a variety of family law matters, including same-sex divorces. In most ways, same-sex divorces happen in just the same way as any other divorce. We guide our clients through property division, child support and alimony matters, timesharing arrangements, and more. Read More